Monday, January 11, 2010

crazy dates

Dating has been really interesting after a life of watching Blockbusters and eating pizza counting as "dates". For the first time in my adult life, I have actually been asked out and the dates have been all over the place. Fun, exciting, awkward, and sometimes even funny. I tend to think of myself as pretty funny in general, so maybe my spin on things makes a normal situation awkward. Like I said, I'm total drama so decide for yourself if I am making too big of a deal on these next few stories...

The night after Bacon and I broke up, I made out with some guy and we exchanged numbers. After deciding to drunk text him THAT NIGHT I realized that I could very quickly fall into the dangerous spiral of being a clingy, rebounding, drunk dial offender so naturally I immediately deleted his number the next morning. One day later to my complete surprise, he called and asked me to go out that weekend. I accepted and was super pumped for the date. At this point, I was still living with Bacon and did not mention the upcoming date to him the whole week. On Friday, I took the day off and spent the time cleaning my entire apartment and getting ready for my date. At about 3 pm he cooly said "What are you doing tonight, moping around and self medicating with wine?" I replied with "Going on a date, have fun working on your car or circle jerking or whatever it is that you do with your nights off..." Practically had to pick his jaw up off of the floor. In our 5 year relationship, that is probably the first time that I actually stood up to him I was so excited.

The date that night was a ton of fun. We went to a comedy club, walked all through the city, and ended up at an amazing jazz club in the village until 3 am. As you may know, NYC subways after hours are not reliable and it took me 2 hours to get home ... FAIL. I walked in at 5 am drunk, exhausted, but euphoric having spent the evening with a responsible adult male who was trying to impress me instead of upset me for once. I walked in to the apartment being destroyed. I thought that Bacon had a party that night but later learned that he was drinking alone because he was so upset about my date. Also, his laptop was opened to his new eharmony account ... and so it began haha.

Anyway the guy I went on a date with asked me out again that Sunday to watch football. I went, but was totally unimpressed (here is where I think I'm a little crazy). We went to a pub and were drinking beer when he said we should order food. I went for the quesadilla and mozz sticks, he ordered a salad. I must have had a surprised look on my face because he looked at me and said "I'm just a skinny guy." I wanted to vom right there when I realized my arms were fatter than his and I immediately decided that I would never sleep with him. He insisted on driving me home an hour and a half away which was awkward. Especially when he pulled over on the highway to get a drink because his "mouth was dry from the beer and that can't be nice to kiss" ... ew just don't speak anymore. I spent weeks blowing this guy off until he finally got the point.

The last date I went on was way better ... kind of. This guy was a consultant. I'm going to call him FlierMiles because he kept bringing the conversation back to how he travels so much and gets access to the lounges in airports ... cool. So you get sit in a lounge with less people in the quiet? I much prefer to people watch and find things to make fun of, but whatever. We had a few drinks and as I jumped in the cab back to my apartment he said I should "be adventurous and take the subway." ... Maybe he should be adventurous and fly coach on his next trip. Anyway, he is now in London for work for the next 3 weeks and asked if I would like to have dinner at an authentic Mexican place when he gets back. It reminds him of an actual place in Mexico City that he has been to... when he was there for work ... which he flew to in business class after spending his waiting time in the lounge :)

No comments:

Post a Comment